Monday, December 11, 2017

Scavenger Hunt





CHRISTMAS in KHOBAR - Excerpt from the story of the same name.


I walk into the hospitality suite room to see two bachelorettes drinking Miranda orange soda on a sofa. Oh…oh, I know the red-haired woman.
     A month or so before. Milt and I are wandering around after dinner in some alley when he tells me that last week the teenagers had a Scavenger Hunt party. A what?
     Apparently they would meet at someone’s house, be paired into teams and sent out with a list of stuff to collect. They had two hours to scavenge and then come back. Whoever had the most stuff won. 
     My first question is, “Won what?”
     Milt replies, “A hamburger and milkshake at the Fiesta Room.”
     Not too shoddy, I think to myself. “And what did they have to collect?”

     Milt says, “Mostly junk. A copy of The Sun and Flare, an old shoe, a sand dollar, an empty Pepsi bottle, a burnt-out light bulb, a broken fork,  a matchbook from the States, a pipe cleaner -  A stick of Beeman’s gum.
     Spontaneously, we have a terrific idea. We rummage through the nearest garbage can and come up with a piece of brown paper bag, and Milt has one of those short pencils that are free at the golf course. Under a streetlight, I flatten the paper over my thigh and write up our list.

Skavenjer Hunt
1. Old newspaper
2. Shovel
3. Spear Gun
4. Pepsi
5. Another Pepsi
6. Firecrackers
7. Black Jack or any kind of gum
8. Cookies
9. Box of grape Jell-O
10. Golf ball

     Since we didn’t want them anyway, we cross out newspaper, shovel and golf ball – as if we already had them. We hold out for the spear gun and head to the bachelorette portable situated on the broad median that intersected 11th Street as it flowed down to the AC plant. 
     About six single women lived there. I ring the doorbell, and a red-haired lady — she was probably in her late twenties — opens the door. It is doom; she knows me. “Hi, Tim. How’s your mother doing? Beautiful Norah probably keeps her busy.” I later find out her name is Molly.
     “Oh, she’s fine. Though she burps a lot. Ah… I mean Norah does. We’re on a scavenger hunt. Milt and I are supposed to get this stuff.” And I hand her the scrawled list.
     She scans it with a straight face, although she is probably dying of hysterics. Looking back, I really am grateful to her and the many other adults who cut me enough slack to not break into uncontrollable laughter on the spot. 
     “We had a spear gun, but I think Skinny picked it up yesterday. I’ll check,” and, looking away for a second, says, “I think Sylvia lit off all of her firecrackers at the big dance at the patio last Thursday night.” She pauses for a bemused moment, “But let me see what we’ve got.”
     Milt and I are shuffling around in the small reception room.  Wondering if she is going to call our mothers, somehow check up on us. We’re about to bolt into the night when Molly appears with her hands behind her back.
     “Sorry, but the spear gun is gone. Aimee ate the last four cookies and chewed all the gum. But I do have these,” and she brought forth two cold Pepsis and a box of Jell-O. Lime Jell-O, probably the worst flavor, but who is choosy?
     We are effusive and completely obsequious as we back out of the portable and head off into the night. Except we have a problem.  Three minutes later, I am back at the portable, knocking on the door. 
     Molly answers, “Oh, hi, Tim.”
     “I forgot, but we’re supposed to get a bottle opener, too.”
The dear woman.  I have no idea how she didn’t collapse into convulsions. Anyway, she maintains a stiff upper lip about to shatter into giggling pieces and returns with a rusty church key.
     We thank her and flee to the ample hedge surrounding the tennis courts. We worm into a favorite burrow within the vegetation, conveniently powdered in DDT, and pull out our stash. We eat big chunks of abused, year-old Jell-O that has congealed into a solid piece, then wash it down with swigs of Pepsi that make the Jell-O fizz up in our throats, and our blood sugar count soars into the Guinness Book of Records.

...and the story continues






No comments:

Post a Comment